Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours

What I'm Reading
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Friday, June 15, 2007
LOVE, LIES AND A DOUBLE SHOT OF DECEPTION by Lois Winston
Many authors mention in their bios that they always wanted to be a writer. Not me. I wanted to be an astronaut. Didn't happen due to a right brain that quakes at the sight of anything requiring math skills, not to mention a body prone to motion sickness. Obviously, some dreams just aren't meant to be.

However, how I became a published author is all about a dream that did come true. Only it wasn't a dream to become a published author. Twelve years ago I was on a business trip. One night I had a dream. The fact that I remembered the dream when I woke up the next morning was unusual in itself. I generally don't remember my dreams. What was even more unusual was that I hadn't dreamed about anyone I knew. The people in the dream were all strangers to me.

Then something REALLY strange happened. The next night the dream continued. And it kept continuing -- every night for several weeks. I was dreaming the chapters of a book! But it wasn't a book I'd ever read. Finally, one day I decided to put the dream down on paper, more to get it out of my system than anything because by this time I was DAYdreaming about these people,
too.

The next thing I knew, I had a 50,000 word romance that spanned 35 years. And I thought I'd written the great American love story. Needless to say, Nora Roberts didn't have to worry about losing her Queen of Romance title to me. I quickly learned from a slew of rejection letters that my opus was a waste of the trees that had sacrificed their lives for the paper it was
printed on. Call me clueless!

But while all this was going on I'd thought up the idea for another book, and it was itching to move from my brain to my computer screen. I'd been bitten by the Writing Bug. So I figured I'd better get a clue because if I was going to spend the time to commit these stories to paper, it would be nice to know how to do so in a way that I could sell them. I soon discovered that there were many published books offering advice on the subject. Thanks to my trusty VISA card I became the proud owner of several hundred dollars worth of how-to-write-a-romance books.

In one of those books I learned about Romance Writers of America. I joined RWA and several of its chapters and eventually lost my cluelessness. In fact, after awhile I was full of clues. Eventually, I found an agent who liked my writing, and I sold my first book. TALK GERTIE TO ME, a story about a 26 year old who resurrects her childhood imaginary friend to help her cope with her mother's menopausal meltdown, was released in April of 2006 from Dorchester Publishing.

But this story is about another book, my current release. LOVE, LIES AND A DOUBLE SHOT OF DECEPTION is a romantic suspense about secrets and revenge and the lengths some people will go in order to bury the former and achieve the latter. It's also that very first book that came about as a result of my dream.

As I learned about the craft of writing, I quickly realized that my plot had no chance of ever being resuscitated into something publishable. However, the characters I'd created had become a part of me. I liked them, and I wanted others to know and like them. I didn't want them condemned to an eternity under the bed with no one but the dust bunnies to keep them
company. So over the years I occasionally tinkered with Emma's and Logan's story. Eventually I got them to a point where I thought they were ready for the scary world of submissions. By this time their story was no longer a 50,000 word romance that spanned 35 years. It was now a 95,000 word romantic suspense that spanned a few months. And lo and behold, my editor
liked Emma and Logan and their story and bought the book!

LOVE, LIES AND A DOUBLE SHOT OF DECEPTION was released on May 29, 2007 and is available at bookstores and online.

If you'd like to read an excerpt of LOVE, LIES AND A DOUBLE SHOT OF DECEPTION, click over to http://www.loiswinston.com/. Stay awhile and check out the various articles I have posted and read what reviewers are saying about my books. You can also read an excerpt from TALK GERTIE TO ME. And while you're there, I hope you'll sign up for my newsletter.

Award-winning author Lois Winston writes humorous, cross-genre, contemporary novels. She often draws upon her extensive experience as a crafts designer for much of her source material. Her first book, TALK GERTIE TO ME, a combination chick lit/hen lit/romantic comedy with a touch of the paranormal, was an April 2006 release from Dorchester Publishing and has to date won a Readers and Bookbuyers Best award and racked up nominations for a Reviewers Choice Award, a Golden Leaf Award, and a Beacon Award. LOVE, LIES & A DOUBLE SHOT OF DECEPTION, a mom-lit romantic suspense, is a June 2007 release from Dorchester. Lois also contributed to DREAMS & DESIRES, a charity anthology of 19 romances by 19 authors which was released in February from Freya's Bower. All proceeds from this anthology go to a shelter for battered women. In addition, Lois is a contributor to HOUSE UNAUTHORIZED, a November 2007 release from BenBella Books. When not writing or designing, you can find Lois trudging through stacks of manuscripts as she hunts for diamonds in the slush piles for the Ashley Grayson Literary Agency. Visit Lois at http://www.loiswinston.com/.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

posted by Dorothy Thompson @ 8:11 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Dorothy Thompson
Home:
About Me: Dorothy Thompson is CEO/Founder of Pump Up Your Book, an innovative public relations agency specializing in online book promotion and social media marketing for authors.  Visit her website at www.pumpupyourbook.com.

See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Blogger Templates