Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours

What I'm Reading
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Wednesday, July 4, 2007
SECOND CHANCE by Jane Green
My books have always reflected the stages of my life. Straight Talking, my first novel, was written when I was a single late-twenty-something, struggling with finding a happy relationship, Babyville catalogued my struggles with new motherhood, and The Other Woman was written about the relationship between a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law, a relationship I found to be particularly emotive and difficult amongst my friends.

This latest book, Second Chance, started off as a book about grief. On December 26th, 2004, when the Tsunami hit, I, along with the rest of the world, sighed at the tragedy and went on with my life.

Until two days later, when I was sitting at my computer idly reading stories about the Tsunami, and came upon an article entitled 'Brits still missing.' I wonder if I know anyone, I thought, doubting I would.

But I did. It was someone I adored. Someone I had seen a few weeks earlier. Piers was my garden designer - had designed a beautiful English garden in my old house in Connecticut. He would fly over every few weeks, sometimes staying with us, and quickly became a friend. He was handsome, funny, and sweet, and when I first saw his name on the list, I shook my head to try and dislodge the fuzz. It couldn't be true. It couldn't be that Piers Simon.

But it was.

I was blindsided by the grief, a grief I hadn't expected given that he wasn't a husband, a lover, a best friend. A grief I didn't feel entitled to, and I sat down to start writing Second Chance, a book about grief.

But as so often happens during the course of writing, the events of your life overtake, and with them come changes in the book. My marriage started unravelling just as I sat down to write, and I put the book on hold to try and figure out what it meant, what my future might be.

The greatest thing about being a writer is that you are able to process how you feel through the words on the page. Second Chance became, not a book about my marriage, but a book about seizing happiness. It became a book about a group of friends reuniting after one of them - Tom - dies, each of whom is going through their own version of a mid-life crisis, each of whom is looking for an answer.

For Paul, it means a second chance at a family, even though he and his wife are beyond hope. For Saffron, it means a chance to conquer her addictions and really learn how to love. For Olivia, it means a one-night stand with a friend of Tom's that leaves her pregnant—with a big decision to make.

And for Holly it means another chance to escape her unhappy marriage and meet the dashing man who might be the key to changing it.

From midlife crises, adultery, divorce, infertility and pregnancy, Tom binds them all together, encouraging them to make difficult decisions about living their lives every day. The result is a second chance at happiness for all of the characters, if they are brave enough to take the next step.

I found my own answer during the course of the writing. I came to realise just what had been wrong in my life, and was lucky enough to find a different path before it became too late.

Jane Green
Author of Second Chance
http://www.janegreen.com/

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Labels:

posted by Dorothy Thompson @ 12:00 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At July 4, 2007 at 11:36 AM, Blogger Dorothy said…

    Interesting story, huh? If anyone has any questions they'd like to leave for Jane, do so in the comment box and I'll forward it on to her so she can come back and answer them for you. Have a happy fourth of July everyone!

     
  • At July 9, 2007 at 8:05 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Wow! This sounds like a powerful book. Doesn't everyone in life deserve a second chance? The more I read about Jane and this book, the more I realize I need to get my hands on a copy.

    Looking forward to Jane's stop at my blog later this month.

    Cheryl M.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Dorothy Thompson
Home:
About Me: Dorothy Thompson is CEO/Founder of Pump Up Your Book, an innovative public relations agency specializing in online book promotion and social media marketing for authors.  Visit her website at www.pumpupyourbook.com.

See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Blogger Templates