Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours

What I'm Reading
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Monday, July 9, 2007
YOU ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH: EVERY WOMAN'S GUIDE TO PURPOSE, PASSION, AND POWER by Judi Moreo
I am a motivational speaker. As I traveled around the USA speaking at Women’s Leadership Conferences, I asked the question, “How many of you feel you were created for something more?” Over 75% of the audience raised their hands every time the question was asked. This led me to ask many more questions.

As a result of this informal survey, I thought perhaps I should write a book about my areas of expertise. .. self esteem, communication, image, dealing with difficult people, being assertive, standing up for one’s rights, setting goals, and becoming successful. Many people will never get the opportunity to hear me speak, so why not get the information that I have to them in another form.

A few weeks later, I saw an ad in our local newspaper that said the Henderson Writers Group was going to be holding a four day conference in Las Vegas where I live. It was really inexpensive and sounded quite interesting. When I had wanted to become a speaker, I attended a speakers’ conference to meet and learn from other speakers, so I decided now that I wanted to write this book, I should go meet and learn from other writers. The conference was quite exciting.

My most exciting discovery was that I already was a writer. I had six books to my credit, plus many articles and columns, but I had never written a query letter. So I attended the workshop on “How to Write A Query Letter that Sells.” I wrote and rewrote my letter and the instructor showed me how to make changes. That evening was a meet the publishers and agents event and I was given the opportunity to meet with three of these people. One of the publishers that was on my list had a personal emergency that day and sent a sales rep from her company in her place. I showed him my idea and he said that he thought his publisher would love my idea. Then he asked if he could take my query letter to show her. At that point, I didn’t even have an outline.

He did take my letter to his publisher and she loved my idea and asked to meet me. I was quite startled when I showed up for the meeting to have her open a file and say, “Here’s what we are going to do for you,” as she went over the contract and showed me the publicity campaign as well. I had been published before and no one had ever offered to assist with the publicity. Thus, “You Are More Than Enough: Every Woman’s Guide to Purpose, Passion, and Power” was born and I still didn’t have an outline. This was in March. She asked if I could have it written by September 1st. I said, “Yes, of course.”

I tried to act real casual about the whole contract, but after I left her office and drove a couple of blocks, I pulled over to the side of the road and screamed. Then I called everyone I knew and told them my book was going to be published by Stephens Press. At that point, Stephen’s Press didn’t even publish self-help books.

My publisher, Carolyn Hayes Uber, of Stephens Press, is every writer’s dream. She’s knowledgeable, smart, industry savvy, supportive, and professional . She’s written books herself so she has been on my side of the desk.

I turned in my manuscript one week late and the book was published the following April. It is now the beginning of June and the book has gone into its second printing. In addition, I have just completed the companion Achievement Journal and received the galley for proofing this week.

The audio book is in the final stages of editing.

What do you think? Should I do the outline?

All joking aside, my journey would have been a lot easier if I had completed a detailed outline before I started.

Judi Moreo
Author of You Are More Than Enough: Every Woman’s Guide to Purpose, Passion, and Power
www.judimoreo.com

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

posted by Dorothy Thompson @ 11:33 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Dorothy Thompson
Home:
About Me: Dorothy Thompson is CEO/Founder of Pump Up Your Book, an innovative public relations agency specializing in online book promotion and social media marketing for authors.  Visit her website at www.pumpupyourbook.com.

See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Blogger Templates