Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours

What I'm Reading
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
COMING BACK A VIRGIN by CJ Maxx
This story was originally written to help me write romantic scenes. A little background is needed to explain that first sentence. I’ve always been a writer. I’m probably one of the few people who enjoyed writing term papers in college. And that was back when I used a manual typewriter with whiteout to correct mistakes. I’d written just about everything before I ever tried writing fiction. Although some may argue that some of the personal evaluations I’ve written in the military and civilian life contained bits of fiction. In the military I’d written articles for newspapers, reports for higher headquarters, recommendations for awards, lesson plans and after action reports. As a Quality Manager in the electronics industry I’d written numerous procedures and reports, made countless presentations and was published three times in trade journals. One of those articles was published in two different Chinese trade publications. They were pirated as far as I know, but that’s an offhand compliment, isn’t it?

I started my first novel, a political thriller titled, The Second American Republic, in 2002. In this story I would have an occasional sexual scene. I have to admit, it wasn’t well written, more along the lines of “Slam-bam, thank you ma’am” than anything else. My critics, meaning wife and my multi-published mentor, said it was gratuitous sex, and not even good gratuitous sex. So I edited it all out. That book, incidentally, never went to print because the publishing house went out of business just a few days before it scheduled release date.

After realizing that I couldn’t write romance scenes, I resolved to fix that problem. I’m a romantic, seriously. I love women, actually just one woman now, my wife. So I decided to write a short story to teach myself to write romance in a meaningful and entertaining manner. And I did. It wasn’t difficult. Like I said, I’m a romantic. I would go over the steps to seduction or whatever in my head and translate them onto the page. In the beginning, some of it wasn’t very good, but eventually I got the hang of it.

Once the story was finished I tried to sell it. No luck. No one was interested in this short story about a fictional character coming to life to teach her author about writing.

About this time I began reading romance novels and was surprised how explicit they were. I was just reading mainstream romance at that time, mainly Linda Howard. Then I picked up a Blaze novel by Rhonda Nelson titled, 1-900-LOVER. Wow! She didn’t leave much to the imagination. After that I bought one of the Secrets anthologies by Red Sage Publishing. “Well now,” I told myself, “I want to write this stuff.” And that’s what I did.

And that’s how this story, Coming Back a Virgin, became an erotic romance.

CJ Maxx
Author of COMING BACK A VIRGIN
http://www.cjmaxx.com/

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
posted by Dorothy Thompson @ 12:00 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Dorothy Thompson
Home:
About Me: Dorothy Thompson is CEO/Founder of Pump Up Your Book, an innovative public relations agency specializing in online book promotion and social media marketing for authors.  Visit her website at www.pumpupyourbook.com.

See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Blogger Templates