Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours

What I'm Reading
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Monday, October 8, 2007
THE RESURRECTION OF LADY SOMERSET by Nicola Beaumont
The Resurrection of Lady Somerset was borne out of some constructive criticism I received on a couple of other manuscripts. I was told that my sentence structure was "too proper." While at the time, I didn't quite understand the problem with that, I did understand that if it was an issue keeping me from being published, I needed to do something about it. I needed to turn my weakness into a strength. My solution was to turn to a genre where "proper" was expected: The jolly old era of Regency England. I picked up a few Regency romances--because, at the time, I had never read one, and one cannot write what they do not read--and I completely fell in love with the time period.

My next step was to devour all the information I could about Regency England, all the while trying to formulate a unique plot that would simultaneously fit the genre, turn my weakness into a strength, and most importantly, entertain readers.

A marriage of convenience--a very common occurrence between 1811 and 1820--seemed the way to go, but it had to include uncommon elements, and it had to have a hint of mystery. Thus was borne my mute heroine, Lark, and my hero, Jonathon, a man who wants no scandal in his life such as would be found by marrying a "deficient" woman, but who is honour-bound to protect Lark, whose life may be in danger.

The only apprehension I had was whether or not I could write a convincing Regency. So, I penned the novel and entered the manuscript into a contest--just to see if I had the execution down properly. To my utter delight and surprise, the entry took second place--and nobody said my sentence structure was too proper!

Placing in a contest and finding publication are two completely different things, however, and it took many submissions and rejections before Resurrection found a home. But, with each rejection I would receive, I would listen to the reasons why it was rejected (except for those form-letter rejections, of course!) and then incorporate the ideas for improvement into the manuscript.

Needless to say, The Resurrection of Lady Somerset holds a special place in my heart. As I said, it's gone through some revisions that have made it better than it was in the "early days," and now it has received rave reviews from such places as Romantic Times Magazine (4-stars) and The Romance Studio (4-hearts). It is available in both electronic and print formats and can be ordered directly from the publisher at http://www.thewildrosepress.com/ or from Amazon, or order it from your favourite bookstore. -- And I'd love to hear from you, so visit my website at http://www.inicola.net

If you'd like to see the book trailer for it, it's available at http://previewthebook.com/book.php?id=159 .

Nicola Beaumont
Author of The Resurrection of Lady Somerset
http://www.inicola.net/

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,
posted by Dorothy Thompson @ 12:00 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Dorothy Thompson
Home:
About Me: Dorothy Thompson is CEO/Founder of Pump Up Your Book, an innovative public relations agency specializing in online book promotion and social media marketing for authors.  Visit her website at www.pumpupyourbook.com.

See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Blogger Templates