Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours

What I'm Reading
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Friday, November 9, 2007
ON STRIKE FOR CHRISTMAS by Sheila Roberts
I think the best book ideas come from a real life experiences, and some of the most irritating experiences can provide the best material. If I hadn't been irritated with my husband, I never would have come up with the idea for my new book "On Strike for Christmas" about a group of friends who go on strike for more appreciation over the holidays with near disastrous results.

My husband was grumbling about having to spend yet another holiday with my big, loud, fabulous family and I had just had it.
What was his problem, anyway? He'd been doing this for years? Now that I think about it, maybe that was his problem. The poor man spends more time with his in-laws than his own family. But when I made my threat I wasn't thinking so rationally. "I'm going to put you in a book," I threatened.
He just laughed.
Until I actually did it. And once I got rolling I'd give him regular reports. "Your nickname is now Bob Humbug."
"Ha! I like it."
He wasn't that wild about being the prototype for a naughty husband once he had a chance to actually read the book. We got an advanced reader copy and he started hauling it back and forth from work, and one day he came home looking like the personification of Elvis's "Blue Christmas". "Am I really that bad?" he asked.
Part of me wanted to say, "Yes! That's why you're in a book." But he had obviously learned his lesson, so I assured him that fiction often requires some over the top writing. (And there is
plenty of that in this story.)
Still, he took the underlying message to heart, and now, like Scrooge, he's a changed man. And he's given the story an enthusiastic thumbs up. So there'll be no Christmas strike at our house this year.
Just a lot of fun as we celebrate both the holidays (with my family, of course!) and the release of my first novel with St. Martin's Press.

Sheila Roberts is the author of ON STRIKE FOR CHRISTMAS (St. Martin's Press, Nov. '07). You can visit her website at http://www.sheilasplace.com/.




Tags: , , , ,
posted by Dorothy Thompson @ 12:00 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At November 9, 2007 at 9:33 AM, Blogger Dorothy said…

    Love this, Sheila! I was watching Christmas with the Kranks last night which reminded me of your book...I love Christmas but then I don't know...all the stress! BTW, what's your opinion on that...love Christmas or would you rather go on a cruise? lol

     
  • At November 9, 2007 at 9:58 AM, Blogger Sheila said…

    I may have written a book about women going on strike, but I never would. I love Christmas!

     
  • At November 9, 2007 at 12:30 PM, Blogger Maureen Fisher said…

    I love how your idea for 'On Strike for Christmas' was born.

     
  • At November 9, 2007 at 2:00 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Hey Sheila,

    Are your husband and mine related? LOL! Until last year I held a huge Christmas Eve party at our place, but he finally made me give it up because he can't stand my family...and it was easier to stop doing it than live with him the entire month of December if I decided to hold the party here.

    Me, I love Christmas. Just ask Dorothy. She has already heard the story of my 8 trees inside and 7 outside, and my goal to have even the bathrooms in my house decorated one day.

    Good luck with the rest of the tour.

    Cheryl

     
  • At November 9, 2007 at 7:44 PM, Blogger Dorothy said…

    Omg, Cheryl, I want to see those pictures! I'm doing something different this year and decorating the top of my entertainment center with some kind of snowy scene with people and everything...going to Wally World tomorrow to pick some out...I love Christmas!

     
  • At November 12, 2007 at 5:48 AM, Blogger Laura K said…

    I just love the title, synopsis, everything about this book. What a terrific idea!

     
  • At November 14, 2007 at 6:38 PM, Blogger Dyan Garris said…

    Is there really a Wally World?!

     
  • At November 14, 2007 at 6:41 PM, Blogger Dorothy said…

    LOL, it's just a fancy schmantzy name for Walmart...haha

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Dorothy Thompson
Home:
About Me: Dorothy Thompson is CEO/Founder of Pump Up Your Book, an innovative public relations agency specializing in online book promotion and social media marketing for authors.  Visit her website at www.pumpupyourbook.com.

See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Blogger Templates